[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun May 30 17:12:12 IST 2010

There is a problem herre, however. Because a word occurs in toponyms,
it does not follow that it was a living word in the Middle and Late
language.
Look at the parallel in Irish. The inherited word for 'sea' is muir,
but muir occurs only in toponyms e.g. Muir nIocht 'the Channel', an
Mhuir Rua 'the Red Sea'. The ordinary word for 'sea' is farraige in
Irish and cuan in Scottish Gaelic.
The Irish word inis is the inherited word for 'island' but it has been
entirely replaced in speech by oileán. So one says Inis Mór
'Inishmore' but san oileán 'on the island'.
Awan, Awen (not avon) may be attested in Cornish hydronymy, but that
is not the same as saying that awan is the ordinary word for 'river';
it is not. River is ryver, and in river names one finds dowr Hombyr
'the river Humber', dowr Tyber 'the river Tiber' in the texts.

Blodon 'flower' is in OC but the plural blejyow is attested only in
dewsull blegyow 'Palm Sunday' in the Passion Poem. The ordinary word
for 'flowers' was flourys.

Nicholas

Words in OC are a legitimate part of the vocabulary and by the
principle of tota Cornicitas must be allowed.