[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun May 30 19:49:30 IST 2010

Whoever said anything about rejecting anything? I was merely pointing
out that some words favoured by Nance do not occur in the texts
(though they do occur in OCV and in toponyms) and therefore we should
possibly not use them for everyday use. The English word 'twain' means
'two' but we don't say 'I want to book a flight to Paris for twain',
do we?  We don't say "Has ought happed?" but "Has anything happened".
We don't say "I hied me to the leech" but "I went to the doctor".
As for blejyow, it probably was originally the word for 'flowers', but
'flowers' in all our texts from the Ordinalia to CW is invariably
flourys, the plural of flour.
We should use the attested words for the attested meanings, and leave
the archaisms for poetry and elevated writing.
Nance didn't do that because of his idees fixes about what constituted
"correct" Cornish. Nance's purism nourished later less scholarly
purism and has, in my view, done the revival immense damage.

Nicholas