[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 30 21:16:36 IST 2010

On 30 Me 2010, at 18:11, janicelobb at tiscali.co.uk wrote:
> Will somebody please explain to my limited intelligence why, if two
> words are known to have existed for something, we have to ration
> ourselves to one.
> Ehaz
> Jan

Alas, Jan, 'limited intelligence' has little or nothing to do with the
matter. I fear it is more a case of the concern voiced a while back by
George Saville, Marquis of Hallifax (1633-1695), talking about the
dangers of a surfeit of (receiving or giving?) education:
>  The vanity of teaching doth oft tempt a man to forget that he is a
> blockhead.

As you may be aware, Cornwall has suffered —and still does— from a
superfluity of hubristic blockheads, some of them posing as
'linguists'. Alas, some of these self-styled 'lingusts' can't (or
choose not to) even speak Cornish!

Gony!

Eddie