[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun May 30 21:34:14 IST 2010

Nance had his faults - we're all aware of that, BUT it took 40 years
for anyone to notice.  If I remember rightly it was Glanville Price
who first brought this to attention, then the likes of Tim Saunders
jumped on his bandwagon, etc.  It is, though, unfair to blame Nance
for what George did to Cornish.  That was George's own choice -
nothing to do with Nance.  George was solely to blame, except for
those who egged him on (back in those days, it was mostly Brown).

I wondered why Loveday was so scathing of Price, until I realised that
he'd been even more scathing of George than he ever was of Nance.

The fact remains that without Nance (and Jenner before him) we
wouldn't be participating in a revival today.  So let's go a bit
gentler on Nance.

Craig

On 30 Me 2010, at 19:56, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 30 Me 2010, at 19:49, nicholas williams wrote:
>> Nance didn't do that because of his idees fixes about what
>> constituted "correct" Cornish. Nance's purism nourished later less
>> scholarly purism and has, in my view, done the revival immense
>> damage.
>
> Look in the mirror, Nicholas, and say those words to yourself.
> Purism, thy name is NJAW.
>
> You might do the Revival 'immense harm' by slandering people like
> Mordon and (by implication) Caradar, were it not for the fact that
> their place in the history of our language's Revival is honoured and
> secure.
>
> Rak meth dhys!
>
> Eddie Climo

Craig Weatherhill