[Spellyans] Blejyow or Flowrys?

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Mon May 31 23:49:13 IST 2010

Good Evening, Ken!

Thanks for filling me in on your teaching background.
Did you ever know J M Y Simpson who used to run our late, lamented
Linguistics Dept in Glasgow Uni? I think he ended up in Aberdeen for a time.
He had a great interest in Gaelic and was an SNP man, like Prof Derek
Thomson.( the demise of Gairm was such a pity).
 I admit whilst I enjoyed the basic phonetics, the rarefied theories of
phonemics, transformation-generative grammar and stratificational
linguistics more bamboozled than enlightened me! I still wonder if anyone
has actually ever fully analysed a language in Stratificational method.
Donald Meek was also in Glasgow before he took over the Aberdeen department.
Which version of the Revived do you tend to favour?

Ewan.