[Spellyans] spring

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Nov 14 16:48:48 GMT 2010

Absolutely not - I fully agree with you, Nicholas.  I have no idea
where KG got that from.  His original dictionary gives a derivation
from Brit. *wesanteno-;  notes that the word does not occur in Breton,
and that the Welsh equivalent is gwanwyn.  This is one word I'm
derogating on.  I spell this: gwaynten.

Th single place-name in which this word appears gives the following
forms:

Tredygwaenton 1302; Tregwaynton 1317; Trethigawaynton 1319;
Trenygwaynton 1324; Trewygwaynton 1325; Trenguenton 1371; Trewanton
1549; Trengwaynton 1565; Tringawenton 1584; Trengwenton 1659;
Trengwanton c.1660; Trengwainton 1808.  (tre + gwaynten with the
intensive prefix dy-, ?"farm of everlasting springtime?" - this would
be appropriate for the famous SE-facing and sheltered gardens now
there, with their sub-tropical species).

-gwenton forms after 1584 are recorded by externally based map-makers,
etc., not by local sources)

Craig

--
Craig Weatherhill