[Spellyans] ragtho, rygthy

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Nov 18 09:13:13 GMT 2010

It’s a bit sad that I can only be seen as arguing from “our side of the fence” when I accept the dogma that that nowyth should be spelt with final <th> rather than <dh>, despite the fact that the one scholar who heard and recorded living traditional Cornish wrote nowydh, neụedh and neụydh.

Easy dialogue would, of course, be if I were to say “of course Michael you are write, how stupid of me even to bring it up and doubt your word”.

Sorry, I don’t work like that.

; b) we standardise the theory that the reflex of OC /ð/ was word-finally voiced in stressed, but unvoiced in unstressed syllables, despite some evidence that this may not have been the case; c) we look at the textual spellings and at the few writers who actually distinguished [ð] and [θ] at all, and do so in all positions and formulate appropriate pronunciation rules.

You obviously favour b), I favour c).

The latter has two distinct advantages:

1)      a speaker of RC can derived his/her preferred pronunciation from the spelling;

2)      a speaker of RC will know how to form and recognise derivatives (nowodhow, nowedhys etc.);

I argue in favour of nowydh in the SWF because it was decided to show <dh> in this position and nowyth is inconsistent in this respect. I would rather have <dh> consistently represented and devoice it by rule than have a pick and mix solution, especially when the textual evidence is in its favour. Nowyth was decided upon as a compromise, an appeasement to those who wanted to show the theory of final devoicing in the spelling.

Dan