[Spellyans] ragtho, rygthy

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Nov 18 18:03:44 GMT 2010

Nicholas,

Both occurrences of noueth and noueτ occur in pausa, before a full stop in §6 and before a comma in §16. As Jon pointed out, this may be the reason for unvoicing. Another frequently occurring word with final <dh> in JCH is SWF diwedh, spelt as follows:

duadh (§3)

diwadh (§5)

dhiuadh (§7)

diuadh (§9)

diuedh (§29)

diuadh (§37)

diuadh (§46)

Yes, the spelling dhiuath (§13) also occurs once, but here it is possible to make a pause in speech:

“ha uar an dhiuath e rig dɐz dha Gūn St. Eler”, whereas in the other examples it would be less natural to make a pause.

I’m not completely against your general theory of final devoicing in unstressed position. I do believe it happened in pausa, but if we show <dh> in Revived Cornish, the speaker has the opportunity to pronounce diwedh or nowydh with [ð] in connected speech before vowels and other voiced consonants and with [θ] in pausa and before voiceless consonants. If we were to write diweth or nowyth, the learner would always say [θ], and this may not be correct. Writing <dh> has the further advantage of more easily recognising derivatives, such as diwedhes, nowodhow, nowedhys etc. As I said, a final-devoicing rule un pause is so easy to formulate, that it outweighs the difficulties the learner might have by spelling <th>. Think of plural forms of the agent suffix <-ydh> and <-ydhyon>; showing final unvoicing would give <-yth> : <-ydhyon>. Michael has placed great emphasis on the fact that vowels in unstressed syllables ought to be spelt according to a predictable pattern for the resurfacing of the stressed vowel when a suffix is added and the stress shifts to the syllable that was unstressed in the simplex. Why does he not apply the same principle with word final [ð]?

Dan

  _____