[Spellyans] whans

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 18:28:22 GMT 2010

On 2010 Du 14, at 18:15, Eddie Climo wrote:

> I disagree. The original sentence clearly falls into 2 parts:
>
> 1) a'y frut dybry
> 2) ny'm bus whans.

No it doesn't. It is ny'm bus whans dybry 'I have no desire to eat' and a'y frut qualifies dybry.
This discussion began because Dan thought whans required a before the verb and I produced examples
which seemed to indicate that after whans the verb was either preceded by dhe or by no preposition.
a'y frut is irrelevant in the matter because it does not contain a verb.

The sentence means "I have no desire to eat of its frut" and is ny'm bus whans dybry a'y frut where dybry follows whans without preposition.
The re-ordering is stylistic not syntactical.

> For your parsing to be tenable, the first part above would have to read:
>
> *1) dybry a'y frut
>
> Given the actual form of the two parts of the sentence, and the fundamental concept in Cornish stylistics that components in a sentence may, with great freedom, be re-arranged for subtleties of emphasis, the most obvious re-ordering of the sentence so as to remove its present emphasis is:
>
>> n'ym bus whans a'y frut dybry.
Fine but this means I have no desire to eat of its fruit, not I have no desire of its fruit to eat.
Your understanding makes no sense because it implies that whans governs the noun phrase a'y frut.
It doesn't: it governs the verb dybry.