[Spellyans] spring

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Nov 15 09:29:00 GMT 2010

Nicholas,

There is some justification in gwenton, in the place names that Craig mentioned, but also in ‘aging’ the OC form guaintoin which Lhuyd’s form and the forms Pryce cites are ultimately taken from. OC ai > MC e is a regular well documented change. Having said that I would have preferred gwaynten ‘spring’ but I can live with gwenton.

Dan

Nicholas a scrifas:

“The SWF writes gwenton, which is based on KK gwenton. The attested forms are:

guaintoin OCV

Houl sooth, Tor lean, paravy an gwaynten Scawen MSS

Guainten AB: 171a

There is no justification for gwenton.”