[Spellyans] Gordhuwher

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Nov 15 11:54:22 GMT 2010

On 15 Nov 2010, at 10:20, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Good point, Michael. If indeed Calvete’s correction is accepted the SWF doesn’t need the extra <w>; gordhuher would be able to represent MC [gɔrˈðyːhər] > LC [gə(r)ˈðɪʊʍər] or [gə(r)ˈðɪʊhər]. This would be my preferred SWF spelling.

I don't agree. [gɔrˈðyːhər] > LC [gə(ɹ)ˈðiːhər] -- there is no rule that can be laid down for when word-internal "u" becomes [ɪʊ] instead of remaining [iː]; such a rule exists when "u" stands in absolute auslaut (du, Jesu), but not here. Further, the spelling "gordhuher" simply can't lead to [ʍ],

The spelling "gordhuwher" on the other hand can be RMC [gɔrˈðyːʍər] (even if the labialization is lost to [gɔrˈðyːhər]) and RLC [gə(r)ˈðɪʊʍər]~[gə(r)ˈðɪʊhər]. It is a better spelling than "gordhuher".

I think that BK and Lhuyd's "hụ" argue for "wh" here. As does, indeed, the quandry about OCV gurthuƿer~gurthuher. Perhaps the original form was gurthuhƿer.