[Spellyans] Gordhuwher

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Nov 15 15:15:26 GMT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Everson
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 12:54 PM

"On 15 Nov 2010, at 10:20, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Good point, Michael. If indeed Calvete’s correction is accepted the SWF doesn’t need the extra <w>; gordhuher would be able to represent MC [gɔrˈðyːhər] > LC [gə(r)ˈðɪʊʍər] or [gə(r)ˈðɪʊhər]. This would be my preferred SWF spelling.

I don't agree. [gɔrˈðyːhər] > LC [gə(ɹ)ˈðiːhər] -- there is no rule that can be laid down for when word-internal "u" becomes [ɪʊ] instead of remaining [iː]; such a rule exists when "u" stands in absolute auslaut (du, Jesu), but not here. Further, the spelling "gordhuher" simply can't lead to [ʍ]"

Of course it can. It’s like <uhel> - vocalic length is retained stressed word finally, in hiatus and before /x/, then [yː] isn’t unrounded, but diphthongised to [ɪʊ] – following [h] will unvoice the glide.