[Spellyans] ragtho, rygthy

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Nov 16 11:26:49 GMT 2010

I'm so glad you invoked the name of Peter Pool.  A wonderful man who
was a great friend and mentor for many years.  But I remember with
distaste the conduct of those KK morons who publicly lampooned him as
a dinosaur rampaging over the grave of Morton Nance.  The people who
did that were not fit to buff the shoes of one of the greatest Cornish
scholars ever (not just language, but history and archaeology). It was
unprovoked, wholly unnecessary, and it caused huge upset.

Craig

On 16 Du 2010, at 10:12, Nicholas Williams wrote:

> Michael has a point. There is no profit in writing things we know to
> be wrong, e.g. ragdho, rygdhi, simply to appease Kemmyn users. They
> will not thank us for it, and they are not prepared to compromise.
>
> It is not true to say that it is necessary to use such erroneous forms
> in order to get people talking to each other. The old division  KK
> versus the rest has not become SWF/M versus SWF/T and the arguments
> are the same, i.e. no rational argument from the SWF/M side, just what
> they prefer through habit. So hw trumps wh, k, kw trump c,k, qw,, iw
> and yw are different, and we must write lyver but niver, irrespective
> of the practice of the scribes.
>
> The quondam KK users do not understand the linguistic arguments. If
> they had ever understood them, they would never have adopted KK in the
> first place. Accepting ragdho, rygdhi merely perpetuates errors into
> the next generation.
>
> The time to rid the revival of George's errors is now—and that
> includes -edh in words like gwiryoneth. Even the SWF accepts nowyth.
> To write lewydh, for example, is therefore inconsistent.
>
> KK did huge damage, not only by allowing an erroneous analysis of the
> traditional language to infect the revival, but also by driving
> objectors to it to appear spoilers.
>
> I had an email from somebody recently asking me where he could find
> copies of Bewnans Ke. Our editio princeps is now out of print.
> My correspondent wrote:
>
> "We have dipped into the Life of Ke, using an edition by some
> individual called K George ... which, as you will know better than me,
> has a very wooden and pompous manner. But Blackwells say that your
> editio princeps is not now available."
>
> The late Peter Pool called KG a "false prophet". Peter was right and
> perpetuating any of George's countless mistakes—even in the interests
> of peace and compromise—is foolish.
>
> Nicholas
>

> On 11/16/10, Owen Cook <owen.e.cook at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aren't we supposed to avoid personal insults on this list?
>> ~~Owen
>>
>> On 15 November 2010 12:00, Craig Weatherhill <craig at agantavas.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Ah. but there's the rub.  We're grown-up - but he isn't.
>>>
>>> Craig

Craig Weatherhill