[Spellyans] Notednow ow tochya Skeul an Tavas

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Tue Nov 16 15:40:00 GMT 2010

My point being, that we cannot rule out with the evidence available that there was [ð] in final unstressed syllables word-finally. We should not dismiss examples of word-final <dh> just because it doesn’t fit our well liked and formulated rule that all consonants are devoiced in this position, if there is evidence to the contrary. That would border on being dogmatic about the issue. For the sake of compromise writing <dh> in these positions in RC is no real problem, since we can formulate rules that allow us to pronounce <dh> [θ].

Dan