[Spellyans] gwiryoneth

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:50:35 GMT 2010

Dan wrote about -edh, etc.:

"It is attested, after all, by Lhuyd and interestingly enough CW has
gwreanathe occurring before a vowel which leads me to suspect that
there may have been final devoicing in absolute auslaut and before
other voiceless consonants, but [ð] before vowels."

The spelling gwreanathe 'truth' in CW does not to me suggest a finall
voiced consonant. In CW spellings in <Vthe> frequently occur where
there is no question of voicing. Look at the following examples:

totheta ‘good speed’ CW 564
mara tethe  ‘if he came’ (final -e not a suffixed pronoun) CW 565
cothe gyllys ‘become old’ CW 1791
forsothe ‘forsooth’ CW 1890
me athe chardg ‘I charge thee’ CW 375
cathe ‘cat’ CW 407
me athe pys ‘I beg thee’ CW 559
thathe negys to thy business’  CW 570
hyrathe ‘longing’ CW  590 (cf. Welsh hiraeth)
me athe pyese CW 617
athe cossyllyas ‘advised thee’ CW 771
athe wullowys ‘from thy light’ CW 936
Deathe ‘death’ CW  1006
bythqwathe ‘ever’ CW 1265
bram an gathe CW 1305
molathe en tase ‘the curse of the Father’ CW 1505
dallathe ‘begin’ CW 2281
cathe ‘cat’ (rhyming with whath ‘yet’) CW 2301
me athe pyes ‘I beg thee’ CW 2332
pew athe wrug ‘who made thee?’ CW 2346
bram an gathe ‘the cat’s fart’ CW 2378
whathe ‘still, yet’ CW 2379
hathe flehys ‘and thy children’ CW 2376
vij gwythe ‘seven times’  CW 1536
seythe ‘Seth’ stage direction 1758
SEYTHE ‘Seth’ heading CW 2078
pesqwythe ‘as often’ CW 2502

Gwreanathe at CW 1892 (there is one example only) can perfectly well
represent [gwri at n@T]