[Spellyans] gwiryoneth

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Nov 17 11:30:29 GMT 2010

Nicholas,

You’re right, <gwreanathe> could have meant [θ] in the final syllable, but since we have Lhuyd’s <guirionedh> it could just as well have meant [ð] – the point being – we don’t know, and will probably never know for sure. So, all we have is differing “beliefs” and “likelihoods” of what it may have been. The sounds [ð] and [θ] are so rarely distinguished in the texts that I find that Lhuyd’s form must be significant in some way. Faced with the problem of difficult documentation regarding the distinctiveness of the sound, I don’t find an etymological approach all that bad.

Dan