[Spellyans] SWF

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Nov 17 12:08:36 GMT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Williams
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:12 PM

“The spelling is not the same. I always write screfa as do the Middle and Late texts so often. After all Lhuyd writes skrepha. George's opinion on this matter is not a theory but a hypothesis which is not borne out by the facts.”

There are also the following spellings for the verbal noun (I have excluded the e-spellings, and listed the y~i spellings only):

scrife (PA)

scrife (PC)

scriffa (TH)

scriffa (TH)

scryffa (TH)

scryfa (SA)

skreifa (T.Boson)

skreefa (N.Boson)

skrîfa (Lh)

scrifa (Pryce)

For the verbal adjective:

scriuit (VC)

scrifys (PA)

scryfys (PA)

scrifis (PA)

scryfis (PA)

scryffys (OM)

scrifys (PC)

scryfys (PC)

scrifys (RD)

scriffes (TH)

scriffes (TH)

skryffes (TH)

scriffys (TH)

scriffis (TH)

scryffys (TH)

scryfys (TH)

scryfys (SA)

scryffes (CW)

skryffes (CW)

skryves (CW)

scriffez (N.Boson)

skreefez (N.Boson)

scriffas (J.Boson)

skrifyz (Lh)

1st sg. pres.-fut.:

scrifaf (PC)

2nd sg. pret.:

scrifys (PC)

scrifis (PC)

3rd sg. pret.:

scryfas (PA)

scrifas (PA)

scryffas (PA)

So, yes, I believe alternative views are possible.

“You, Dan, don't believe George on the question of length any more than I do, so don't pretend that the two opinions are on equal footing. All the evidence suggests that half-length had been lost in Middle Cornish.”

I’m not pretending, I just respect the SWF’s principle of inclusivity. If people want to use half-length then they should be able to. Yes, you are right, I don’t think KG’s solution of the Cornish quantity system is right, but that’s an opinion. Albert has recently mention an interesting point looking at the quantity system of northern Welsh dialects, where vocalic length in polysyllabic words was lost in the low and mid vowels, but retained in the high vowels.

“Clutching dogmatically cuts both ways.”

Yes, it does, and I don’t like it – either way.

“The KK people have been insisting that there was half-length for years without actually using it--and that includes the inventor himself. If that's not dogmatic, what is?”

That doesn’t mean that we have to make the same mistake.

“I merely suggested returning to the position of Nance and Caradar. Polin Pris was a firm advocate of KK but when confronted by Albert in the LWG about half-length, asked "What's half-length?"

I know. Funny, innit?

“The spelling of RC should not pander to mistakes.”

“I am very opposed to KG's position because I think he has done the revival massive damage. You weren't at the LWG where everybody was prepared to compromise except one person. Nor were you at Tremough when KG insisted that Trond refer to him publicly as a fellow linguist as the price for agreeing to the SWF. Trond did so, and apologised to me afterwards for it. But KG reneged on his word and still refuses to accept the SWF.

Nicholas”

We also need to deal with the fact that he and his form Cornish has support. We can also not expect every Cornish learner to be a linguist. I believe we have to correct the mistakes from within without frightening anybody away.

Dan

Spellyans at kernowek.net