[Spellyans] gwiryoneth

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Nov 17 12:46:20 GMT 2010

On 17 Nov 2010, at 12:29, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> So, we write <th> everywhere as [in] the texts?

In unstressed final syllables, I believe we do. First, there is a consistent pattern of devoicing in unstressed syllables -- also not only of stops, viz. in imach pl imajys.

mab, medhêwnep
neb, hevelep
wheg, karrek
mog, galosek
jùj, imach
gradh, nowyth
badh, gelwyth
dov, warnaf
nev, enef
ov, esof

Lhuyd could never have heard "genev" because the form had disappeared to "gene vy" and "genama" by the time he heard Cornish, so his "genev" is quite probably his Welsh influencing him. I warrant that the same is the case for -dh in Lhuyd. Nicholas and I are collating the material.