[Spellyans] Broth and cabbage

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Nov 18 08:57:32 GMT 2010

On 18 Nov 2010, at 08:22, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

>>> I see a diphthong in the latter’s attested forms…
>>
>> Good for you, Dan!“
>
> Why, thank you Michael, so nice of you to say so!

You're very welcome.

> On the other hand, in the Revived language, people like to distinguish the two, and have done so for a very long time indeed.”
>
> You mean Nance’s cawl v. cowl?

I did list it amongst my citations, yes. And I also listed Gendall's cawl v. caul and Kennedy's cowl and caol.

> Both words look as though they contained a diphthong. I should recommend cawl [kaʊl] “cabbage” and cowl [kɔʊl] “soup”.

But in the Revived language, cabbage doesn't have a diphthong. It's [kɔːl] which Gendall transcribes in his system as [kɐːl].

As we know "au" and "ao" and "aw" and "ow" and "ou" can be ambiguous in the texts for a variety of reasons. Maybe it was a diphthong. Maybe it wasn't. But it is now, and I don't see a good reason to overturn that. So in KS we have "cawl: 'soup' and "caul" 'cabbage'.

Of course SWF "cawl" 'soup' and "cowl" 'cabbage' would be an improvement on using "cowl" for both, and since the SWF doesn't have a graph like "au" anyway there isn't much choice.

The second edition Skeul an Tavas SWF/T and SWF/K have gone to press. In this matter, in the section on pronunciation, I have had really no option but to write:

ow 1. [oʊ] as oa in English boat: dowt [doʊt] ‘doubt’, glow [ɡloʊ] ‘coal’.
Note the irregular pronunciation of cowl [kaʊl] ‘soup’ and cowl [kɔːl]
‘cabbage’.