[Spellyans] gwiryoneth

j.mills at email.com j.mills at email.com
Thu Nov 18 12:43:40 GMT 2010

Final consonants might be variously voiced or unvoiced for a number of reasons.
1 Regressive assimilation: a final consonant is voiced or unvoiced according to whether the following phoneme is voiced or unvoiced. Thus Lhuyd may have recorded a word in more than one spelling according to the context in which the word was encountered.
2 Dialectal or idiolectal variation. Thus Lhuyd may have recorded a word in more than one spelling because the word was obtained from different informants.
3 Free variation: rather like the differing pronunciations of English "either".
4 Influence of Lhuyd's own Welsh. Though I would not assume this. Lhuyd takes pains to point out the differences between Welsh and Cornish. In fact, the whole purpose of his Archaeologia is to show the similarities and differences between the Celtic languages.
5 Other reasons ....

Ol an gwella,
Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,