[Spellyans] ragtho, rygthy

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 16:12:33 GMT 2010

Lhuyd writes neuydh, nouydh when transcribing from MSS. What he actually heard appears in  JCH where he writes noueth §6 and an noueT (with a Greek tau, which means <th>) at §16.

If he had written only neuydh, nowydh, Dan might have a point. Since he often writes nowydh but also noweth we have to ask ourselves why. Nowydh is by false analogy with Welsh. Noweth in JCH is what he heard.

Nicholas