[Spellyans] gwiryoneth

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Nov 18 18:13:05 GMT 2010

Dan

  _____

From: nicholas williams
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:41 PM

But Lhuyd repeatedly gets the syntax of Cornish wrong on the basis of Welsh. He writes, for example, Mî a vev Kelmez AB: 222 for `Mî a ve kelmez and neb Pednzhivikio a ryganz skrefa ragov lîaz gerrio Kernûak AB: 222 for neb Pednzhivigion a ryg skrefa ragov lîaz ger Kernûak.

It would be very easy to cite many other examples from his Preface.

Lhuyd may have been at pains to highlight the differences between Cornish and Welsh, but he didn't always succeed. We cannot therefore take his nowydh and guironedh for gospel, especially when he also writes noweth and guironeth.

Nicholas