[Spellyans] Broth and cabbage

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 08:00:06 GMT 2010

On 18 November 2010 02:57, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

> >> Good for you, Dan!“
> >
> > Why, thank you Michael, so nice of you to say so!
>
> You're very welcome.

And big sloppy kisses were exchanged on all sides.

> > Both words look as though they contained a diphthong. I should recommend cawl [kaʊl] “cabbage” and cowl [kɔʊl] “soup”.
>
> But in the Revived language, cabbage doesn't have a diphthong. It's [kɔːl] which Gendall transcribes in his system as [kɐːl].

It could possibly still be /kɔʊl/. A following [l] can do all kinds of
odd things -- in Australian English, "bowl" is pronounced as [bɤːɫ],
but it still has an underlying diphthong. (I've long thought it odd
that we all decided to renounce the idea of phonemic transcriptions,
as though Ken George held a patent on forward slashes.) Ray however
can say better than me if my suggestion's untenable.

> The second edition Skeul an Tavas SWF/T and SWF/K have gone to press. In this matter, in the section on pronunciation, I have had really no option but to write:
>
> ow 1. [oʊ] as oa in English boat: dowt [doʊt] ‘doubt’, glow [ɡloʊ] ‘coal’.
> Note the irregular pronunciation of cowl [kaʊl] ‘soup’ and cowl [kɔːl]
> ‘cabbage’.

Unfortunate. But I believe Nicholas's <col> wouldn't have worked
either, since that would have meant [koːl] not [kɔːl]...

~~Owen