[Spellyans] Final dh and ascetics

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Fri Nov 19 09:52:13 GMT 2010

I except that there may not be many people who care as much as I do
about how what I write in Cornish looks like on the page.

  Interestingly, though if we refer to the first part of Bewnans
Meriasek, where a yorgh is used to represent 'dh', (although sometimes
'th'), it is never used in final position.  Nance resisted using final
'dh' although I am sure that he would have been aware of all the
arguments for its use.  Perhaps he drew the same conclusion as I do
from Bewnans Meriasek i.e. final 'dh' is just not Cornish.

On 18 Du 2010, at 09:26, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> From the point of view of a user of UC and UCR I can understand why
> you would consider final <dh> ugly. UC always wrote <th> in final
> position and UCR accepted <dh> finally in stressed monosyllables
> only. So maybe this is more a question of what you are used to
> rather than a linguistic argument. Aesthetics are important because
> people identify with an orthography, but I think we have to
> compromise if we want to find an orthography that as many
> Revivalists as possible can identify with and this will include
> aesthetic and linguistic criteria; it will also entail a fair amount
> of compromise on both sides to find workable solutions that will
> make the/an SWF usable even when opinion concerning the phonological
> base differ.
> Dan

Ray Chubb

Portreth