[Spellyans] th/dh

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 10:05:13 GMT 2010

Yes. I did change my mind. The evidence is ambiguous and difficult to evaluate. Jenner, Norris and Williams did not agree. Neither did Jenner agree with Nance.
My view in the latest edition of CT
seems to me to be the simplest and the structurally most coherent—since it agrees with the alternation
in b/p, g/k and v/f.
The pausa/allegro distinction is OK for Breton but the main thesis of CT is that Cornish is not Breton
and that is why KK is so very mistaken.

I don't believe I am going to change my mind again.
In CT (first ed.) I wrote eledh, myternedh following Jenner.
Not any more.

I shall certainly return to the question in print and I shall
certainly do my best to defend my view from all available evidence.
I think, Dan, we will just have to disagree on this point.

By the way I am perfectly well aware that ew in tew is different from the diphthong in lyw 'colour'.
Lhuyd's spellings do not, however, allow us to differentiate /iw/ from /Iw/.
Lhuyd writes piu, piua and peu, peua for the same items.
I give examples at CT §13.04.

I must go now, since I am off to a two-day conference on Celtic language and literature here in Dublin.

Nicholas.