[Spellyans] Broth and cabbage

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Nov 19 10:39:38 GMT 2010

On 19 Nov 2010, at 08:00, Owen Cook wrote:

>> But in the Revived language, cabbage doesn't have a diphthong. It's [kɔːl] which Gendall transcribes in his system as [kɐːl].
>
> It could possibly still be /kɔʊl/. A following [l] can do all kinds of odd things -- in Australian English, "bowl" is pronounced as [bɤːɫ], but it still has an underlying diphthong. (I've long thought it odd that we all decided to renounce the idea of phonemic transcriptions, as though Ken George held a patent on forward slashes.) Ray however can say better than me if my suggestion's untenable.

I have listened to both Neil and Ray, and hey both say [kɔːl].

>> ow 1. [oʊ] as oa in English boat: dowt [doʊt] ‘doubt’, glow [ɡloʊ] ‘coal’.
>> Note the irregular pronunciation of cowl [kaʊl] ‘soup’ and cowl [kɔːl]
>> ‘cabbage’.
>
> Unfortunate. But I believe Nicholas's <col> wouldn't have worked
> either, since that would have meant [koːl] not [kɔːl]...

Unfortunate? The SWF writes "cowl" for both. The pronunciation in the revived language appears not to be [koʊl] for either, but [kaʊl] and [kɔːl]. That's what I hear, that's what Nance and Gendall describe, and I'm satisfied to stand by that as a recommendation.