[Spellyans] th/dh

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Fri Nov 19 15:09:05 GMT 2010

  _____

From: nicholas williams
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 11:05 AM

“Yes. I did change my mind. The evidence is ambiguous and difficult to evaluate. Jenner, Norris and Williams did not agree. Neither did Jenner agree with Nance. My view in the latest edition of CT seems to me to be the simplest and the structurally most coherent—since it agrees with the alternation in b/p, g/k and v/f. The pausa/allegro distinction is OK for Breton but the main thesis of CT is that Cornish is not Breton and that is why KK is so very mistaken.

I don't believe I am going to change my mind again. In CT (first ed.) I wrote eledh, myternedh following Jenner.

Not any more.”

Fine. You’ve changed your position and now you expect the whole Revival to change position with you and reflect your theory orthographically.

“I shall certainly return to the question in print and I shall certainly do my best to defend my view from all available evidence. I think, Dan, we will just have to disagree on this point.”

Agreeing to disagree is in itself not a bad thing. This is where an orthographic compromise comes in. What can we do for a neutral approach that will allow both/all theories to be possible to anticipate in an orthography? I have offered my solution, maybe you have an alternative?

“By the way I am perfectly well aware that ew in tew is different from the diphthong in lyw 'colour'. Lhuyd's spellings do not, however, allow us to differentiate /iw/ from /Iw/. Lhuyd writes piu, piua and peu, peua for the same items.

I give examples at CT §13.04.”

Yes, I know you are aware of that. The SWF difficulty is that it tries to find a system that works for both MC and RC and thus represents an older stage in the language in order to keep the phonemes separate that remained separate in LC, that means we have MC yw-words that remain yw-words into LC and then we have yw-words which become ew-words in LC; in order to allow a speaker of RC to derive his/her correct pronunciation be it MC based or LC, the fisrt class of yw-words needs to be distinguished from the second class of yw-words. Hence the solution with iw : yw, which is similar to the i : y opposition in monosyllabic words.

“I must go now, since I am off to a two-day conference on Celtic language and literature here in Dublin.

Nicholas.”

Have an interesting time!!!

Dan