[Spellyans] Final dh and ascetics

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Fri Nov 19 17:48:58 GMT 2010

No, I said that we could conclude that final dh is just not Cornish.
In other words the scribes would not be thinking to represent dh in
final position in any way.  That does not mean that they were not
pronouncing it but, as we can see from this forum, there is a lot of
uncertainty about where it should be pronounced in modern Cornish.

On 19 Du 2010, at 15:00, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Ray,
> If you look at it from that perspective, then <dh> in general is
> just not Cornish and we’d have to write <th> everywhere, whether we
> actually said [ð] or [θ]. That also means that a learner of Cornish
> wouldn’t know when to pronounce [ð] and when [θ].
> Dan

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow