[Spellyans] iw

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Nov 19 21:29:30 GMT 2010

On 16 Nov 2010, at 16:46, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

What exactly is it useful for? It is useful for a system which says "pronounce these words [iʊ], and these words [ɪʊ], and those words [ɛʊ]. But we don't have such a distinction in the Revived language. We have [iʊ]~[ɪʊ] (allophonically) and [eʊ]~[ɛʊ] (allophonically).

Lhuyd's "iụ" is just our "yw" [iʊ]. Sure, in absolute auslaut we use three graphs, but we don't need four. We have -yw, and we have -uw, and we have -u. But that's sufficient for all the distinctions we need to make. We have "dyw" [diʊ] 'two' and "duw" [diʊ] 'god' and "du" [diʊ] 'black'. There's no need for a "diw".