[Spellyans] iw

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Nov 20 12:35:41 GMT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: nicholas williams
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 11:39 PM

"<iw> is not found in Cornish. It is therefore not justifiable at all. One should write pyw 'who' and dyw 'two' (feminine); end of story. <iw> is George's ideal based on Lhuyd, who actually wrote iu with a dot under the u.”

Since Lhuyd’s <ụ> basically means <w> (the texts also have w, v, u where we write w today), so <iw> is a valid interpretation of Lhuyd’s <iụ>.

As I said I don’t care whether you write iw or yw, but I want lyw-words to be distinct from bew-words. I don’t want to have to write lyw and byw and forced to assume that they contained the same sound.

“<iw> has no place in any traditionally based orthography for Cornish.

Nicholas"

See Lhuyd.

And TH: war an diweth in y pistill