[Spellyans] iw

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Nov 20 12:41:34 GMT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: A. J. Trim
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:53 AM

“I thought that you were recommending <dew> "two" for both masculine and feminine. Has that changed?

I don't regard the difference as significant but some people believe that there is a real difference between <iw> and <yw>.”

The difference can be shown to have existed in Cornish. They both have a different origin etymologically and their etyma are distinguished in ate Cornish, so we can easily assume that they were different in MC even if their spellings varied and amalgamated to a variation of <yw, yv, ew, ev, u> etc. It was the diphthongs <yw> /ɪw/ and <ew> /ew/ which fell in with each other, not /iw/ and /ɪw/.

“Perhaps we should recommend that they write their supposed difference as <yu> and <yw> instead.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim”

I don’t like that solution. We have had bad experiences with UC <yu> pronounced as [juː], which I cannot recommend.

Dan