[Spellyans] th/dh

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at unesco.org
Mon Nov 22 09:18:35 GMT 2010

Breton has both pewarzeg (ZH pevarzek) < pewarðeg, and pemzeg (ZH pemzek) < pemðeg, with no trace of *pemzheg (ZH *pemzhek) < *pemθeg which should have given */pemheg/ in Gwened. It looks as if Breton and, quite possibly, Cornish gave a different treatment to the word for “fifteen” from Welsh. Lhuyd’s pemdhak may well have been correct.

Steve Hewitt