[Spellyans] th/dh

j.mills at email.com j.mills at email.com
Mon Nov 22 11:29:59 GMT 2010

Dan (Sat, Nov 20, 2010 5:16 pm) writes

All we have is grounds to assume that /ð/ existed from a few occurrences of <ȝ> in PA – and Lhuyd of course, whose evidence you dismiss if it doesn’t fit your theory."
and
".... Michael, you have no evidence for /ð/ at all. How can you tell whether there was or was no contrast between [ð] and [θ] in final position (any position for that matter)? There is no sufficient reason to spell <dh> at all going by the MC MSS. You cannot know for a fact that Lhuyd’s Welsh interfered with his Cornish – you can assume, you can postulate, you can theorise, but you cannot know. That is my point. That’s why doubt remains as to whether final devoicing occurred for /ð/ and if it’s not the safer, more careful, more inclusive way of dealing with this problem in an orthography for RC."

Ol an gwella,
Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,
University of Kent

ttp://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net