[Spellyans] th/dh

j.mills at email.com j.mills at email.com
Mon Nov 22 12:54:14 GMT 2010

Michael (Sun, Nov 21, 2010 4:18 pm) writes,
"Are you then arguing that we should trust Lhyud here and write peswardheg and pemdheg?"

Given that Lhuyd is the only real evidence that we have for the type of dental fricative in this word. And given that Welsh has /θ/ in this word (and therefore Lhuyd's <dh> is not the result of Welsh influence). Why would you want to write this word with <th>, and what evidence do you have to support such a pronunciation?

Ol an gwella,
Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,