[Spellyans] f > v lenition

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon Nov 22 13:22:31 GMT 2010

This throws up an interesting point - why doesn't revived Cornish
(apart from RLC) write the f>v lenition (fenten - an venten)?  Was it
Nance's idea to keep it spoken but not written - and what prompted
such a thought?  I realise that this written lenition is rare in the
texts, but certainly isn't rare in place-name records from the MC
centuries.  There, it's not only hugely commonplace, but the norm.
Late Cornish gives some words (venten, vor', etc) with permanent v
lenition.  Shouldn't revived Cornish write it (and perhaps the s>z
lenition, too)?

Craig

Craig Weatherhill