[Spellyans] iw

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Nov 22 14:09:33 GMT 2010

  _____

From: nicholas williams
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 10:23 AM

“But these are different in origin and in Hiberno-English meat is still often [me:t].”

But according to Jackson in LHEB the diphthongs in liw and byw are different in origin as well. Jackson gives Brit. *līu̯o- (cf. B liv; W lliw, OI lí) and *biu̯os (cf. B bev, W byw, OI béo) respectively. In British there was a distinction of length which was replaced in Late British with an opposition of vocalic quality.

“The objection to iw < iu is that it always represents the same sound as yw and is without warrant in the traditional language.”

What does <yw> mean here [iʊ] or [ɪʊ]? Both?

How do you explain

Lhuyd <liụ> : <bêụ>

“<i> is sometimes used finally in words like iudi 'Judaea', victuri 'victory' and even in chi 'house' and whi 'ye, you'. <iw> is wholly unattested.”

<diweth> (TH 18a)

“If one respects the scribes one does not introduce alien graphs where they are not necessary.”

<diweth> (TH 18a)

“<iw> was first by George”

<diweth> (TH 18a)

“in imitation of Breton and Welsh,”

<diweth> (TH 18a)

“because he mistakenly believed that Cornish /iw/ and /Iw/ were separate diphthongs.”

They were, as we can see from the textual attestations, and, according to Jackson, in origin as well as in outcome.

Lhuyd <liụ> : <bêụ>

“The SWF and all other speakers (including George himself) pronounce the two identically.”

I say [lɪʊ] and [bɛʊ].

“What possible reason can there be for using both, when yw is both sufficient and traditional?

Nicholas”

<diweth> (TH 18a) is also part of traditional Cornish. Lhuyd’s <iụ> is basically the same as <iw>, no different from his <δ> and our writing <dh>.

Dan