[Spellyans] Final dh and ascetics

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Mon Nov 22 19:47:15 GMT 2010

As I mentioned previously, we do have <arlud> in BM. Perhaps this <d> was
voiced. We were told today that yogh could stand for the d-sound (not sure
how we know that.)  Perhaps the <d> in <arlud> could stand for the sound of
yogh (whichever one that would have been.)  This would mean that all three
of the quoted documents had yogh (or its equivalent) in word-final position.
However, we can say that it was not the usual usage. As it was possible to
write yogh in word-final position, there should be a reason why yogh was not
used in word-final position on a regular basis. It could have just been
scribes' preference but apparently three scribes had the same preference.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim