[Spellyans] iw

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 19:37:08 GMT 2010

I write bew and lyw. There was never any suggestion that they should be written the same.
I cannot find <iw> anywhere in TH. Nor have I ever seen it anywhere else in traditional Cornish.
<yw> and <ew> are enough.
I will not write <iw> because I have never seen it anywhere in traditional Cornish and it isn't necessary.

Nicholas

On 2010 Du 23, at 18:42, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> It’s not inauthentic, after all <iw> occurs in TH.

Where?

> It’s just very rare because mediaeval scribes would have resisted writing <iu> or <iw> because of minim.
Nonsense. The same would apply to in which is common.

> The SWF has to distinguish a threefold series,

Because it follows George's fantasy phonology