[Spellyans] iw

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Nov 24 17:26:47 GMT 2010

On 24 Nov 2010, at 16:19, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> How about <giu> PC 3010:
> ‘tan syns y’th dorn an giu-na’

How about it?

I do not know why the SWF spells 'woe' as <gew> [ɡɛʊ]. KK has "guw"; we made the choice to distinguish "guw" 'spear' from "gu" 'woe' for isomorphism with the phrase "go vy"

But how about it? Are you suggesting that "iu" should make "iw" acceptable?

The overwhelming majority of instances of <iu> in the texts mean [dʒuː] or [dʒʊ]. And I'm talking orders of magnitude more than this one instance of [iʊ].