[Spellyans] iw

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Nov 24 17:28:22 GMT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Everson
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:28 PM
”On 24 Nov 2010, at 16:08, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> I view Lhuyd’s <iụ> as examples that can be written <iw> today.

†biụ, vêụ 'life'

diụ 'black'

dhiụ 'to you' (dhiụχ)

diu 'two'

Dzeziụ 'Jesus'

liụ 'colour'

piụ 'who' (pu)

ziụ 'bream'

Deụ 'god' (though Lhuyd does not have [diʊ])

byw, du, dhywgh, dyw, Jesu, lyw, pyw, Duw.”

To summarise, I want to have <y> and <yw> as an MC umbrella graph for the people that want to make this archaising distinction of the sound change /ɪ/ > /ɛ/, /ɪʊ/ > /ɛʊ/ that I believe to have been largely complete by 1500.

As lyw, dyw and pyw should be distinguished from bew your proposal doesn’t really work as you have lyw, dyw, pyw and byw.