[Spellyans] <dh> ~ <th>

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 16:10:01 GMT 2010

In his discussion of traditional survivals in Mounts Bay published in 1876 Jenner gives the following from two different informants for '12, 13, 14, 15':

dau•dhak
tau•dhak
bizwau•dhak
pemp•thak

and

dau•dhak
tau•dhak
bizwau•dhak
pemp•thak.

See M. Everson, Henry Jenner's Handbook of the Cornish Language (2010) 242.

In Jenner's phonetic system <dh> represents the voiced dental fricative and <th> the voiceless one.
The raised dot after a syllable indicates that it bears the stress.

This evidence is unequivocal and indicates that English speakers who had learnt some fragments of traditional
Cornish distinguished the -dh- in dewdhek, tredhek/tardhek, beswardhek/peswardhek from the
-th- in pymthek.

Traditional survivals are better evidence than Lhuyd, I believe.

Nicholas