[Spellyans] <dh> ~ <th>

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Mon Nov 29 13:22:02 GMT 2010

Could there be two forms, pempthek and pem'dhek?

Perhaps some people pronounced the p and others didn't. I would expect the p
to affect the voicing of the th/dh. Perhaps the full version was used in
counting and the other used in connected speech.

The evidence just reported is good, and it tells us how these numbers were
pronounced when counting (pilchards?) in one location in the 1870s. It may
be more reliable than Lhuyd's evidence.

It does not tell us how these words were pronounced in Tudor Cornish or at
other times. Clearly, the numbers are different from the forms that we
"normally" use. We don't know how the changes affected the th/dh problem.
However, we can now be more certain about the terminal pronunciations.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim