[Spellyans] "Public house"

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Aug 4 11:46:45 IST 2011

I agree that tavern is by far preferable than diwotty. The word is derived
from SWF diwes (C diot (VC), dewas (PA), ?ewas (PA), dewes (OM, BM, Lh, Pr),
dywes (PC, RD), deves (BM), dewas (BK, TH, SA, AB, Lh, Pr), thewas (SA),
deu?az (Lh), deu?as (Lh), †diot (Lh, Pr), deuaz (Lh), dewaz (Pr), †diot
(Pr); (pl.) dewosov (BM); cf. B died; W diod).
Analogous to OC dioc ‘sluggish’ and OC *tioc (< pl. OC tiogou) ‘farmer’ the
expected development of Cornish ‘drink’ should have been MC *dyes, *dyas >
LC *deeaz, *dîaz > SWF *dies. My take is that this particular word developed
irregularly and inserted /w/ in the hiatus and then followed the same
development as SWF diwedh. Does anybody have a better explanation?
Since the word diwotty is derived from an attested word, there isn’t really
anything to say against it, except that it is redundant owing to tavern and
(h)ostelry being available.
Dan

  _____