[Spellyans] "Public house"

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Aug 6 11:58:54 IST 2011

It seems that the w-less form is the regular reflex, cf. MI deoch, OB diot,
MB diet, OC diot, Gaul. diota. Since the OC form diot precedes MC dywes,
dewas I find it unlikely that Cornish would spontaneously insert /w/ in the
hiatus in this word and nowhere else.
I've found a questionable (no indication of sources) Proto-Celtic to English
wordlist online
(http://www.wales.ac.uk/Resources/Documents/Research/CelticLanguages/ProtoCe
lticEnglishWordlist.pdf), which gives di-ati- glossed 'drink', but also the
heading degu-(?) 'drink'. Is there a possibility that we might be dealing
with an entirely separate root where dywes, dewas is concerned. I haven't
found *(*)degu- elsewhere and cannot find a reference to a word in the other
Modern Celtic languages.
Could *di-ati- be derived from the PCc (Proto-Celtic) prefix *di- 'of, from'
and compounded with PCc *ati- 'oven, furnace', i.e. 'something burnt, a
brand, liquor', rather than 'suck' + nominal extension?
Cornish dena (cf. OI denaid; MW dynu, denu; MB denaff, B denan) shows 'suck'
+ suffix *-na-
Perplexing and the other reference materials are suspiciously quite on the
subject and don't list this word.
Dan