[Spellyans] "Public house"

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 17:34:10 IST 2011

On 2011 Est 8, at 15:43, njawilliams wrote:

> I prefer to use the commonest spelling: dewas
Me too—after all that's the standard UC spelling. Interestingly, Nance (1938)—in his usual meticulous lexicography—points out to us both an early form of the word (diot, OCV) as well as what is presumably a much later form from Anglo-Cornish dialect in the phrase 'dash an darras', with the hint at a link with Gaelic 'deoch an dorrus'.

D. 'dash' does seem to support the spelling K.'dewas' rather than 'dewes'. It also seems to contradict the notion that unstressed final vowels went to schwa—an assumption that I've long felt to be unsafe.

Eddie Climo