[Spellyans] Nance's purism (again)

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 13 12:20:20 IST 2011

On 2011 Gor 26, at 10:51, nicholas williams wrote:
> Nance preferred the Passion Poem to all other texts in Cornish, possibly because it was the oldest
> continuous text and therefore the most archaic in language.

A citation of Nance's own words expressing this alleged 'preference' would be much appreciated.

Lacking that, we might consider the fact that Nance based his first course/grammar book, not on the 'archaic' Passion Poem, but rather on the tale of 'Jowan Chy an Horth' (JCH). He recommended anyone wishing to master prose style in Cornish to become familiar with this text. As we all know, 'JCH' is a Late Cornish text, not an early MC one, so no evidence of any 'preference' for the 'archaic' and the 'quaint' there, eh?

The whole language Revival could be characterised as the search for the 'archaic', even those who favour such (marginally less) antiquated forms of Kernewek as Tudor Cornish. Re'm fay ha Synt Deffry! we're all paid-up members of the Society for Creative/Cornish Anachronism!

If we wanted to be 'modernists', we'd just speak English, like 99.5% of Cornish folk today, or maybe (Dew re'gan sawo!!) KKenrewek ragg an 21sa KKannsvledhenn.

Blechhh! Hoc sententia statim vomitandum est!

Eddie Climo