[Spellyans] "next year"

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Fri Aug 26 11:49:55 IST 2011

Nicholas,

Thank you for this. It is very enlightening, and a move in the right direction towards authentic Cornish.

I hope that you will be compiling these snippets into a new grammar document. Ideally, it needs to be feely available on the Internet. I don’t think that many people will read it now if it is in a book – but it is too good to be hidden amongst the posts of this forum.

By the way, what would “for the last year” be? This has two meanings: “for the year that has just past” and “for the year that will be the final one”, e.g. “I paid my membership fee for the last year”. In English, “the” is optional in the first meaning, and it is clearer when left out. However, in “I have been poorly for the last year” the meaning is subtly different, and you cannot leave out “the”.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim