[Spellyans] diacritics

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Feb 2 16:19:31 GMT 2011

On 2 Feb 2011, at 15:55, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> Michael, I think it's best not to assume there will be any review after 2013.  It was stated that it would be the one and only review.

It was stated that there would not be any changes until after an initial five years. No statement was ever issued that it would be "the one and only review".

> The reality may well turn out to differ but, for now, I think we have no choice but to treat 2013 as though it will be the last review.

Why? There is no guarantee that the SWF will be suitable for use after that review.

KK was unsuitable for a variety of reasons and it was rightly criticized and so it was not chosen by the Commission. The SWF is unsuitable for a variety of reason and if its flaws are not put right it will attract sustained criticism from linguists.

I do not second-guess what may happen in future and I recommend that nobody else does either.