[Spellyans] Shall we vote on diacritics just now?

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 12:59:08 GMT 2011

I am with John on this.

The diacritic marks, although seemingly unpopular with some, allow KS to be
unambiguous with relation to the sounds of the written word. Although I do
not like the diaresis, I understand its purpose. There is a suggested
alternative, but it runs into the problem of the inadequacy of Anglocentric
fonts to represent the written word.

If you don't like diacritics then you must do things with graphs to replace
the little marks, KK is always there for that, or if you don't like the KK
orthography, SWF is there, but will need more work to make it truly
functional. Without the diacritics KS is nothing more than an SWF/T variant
and that, as we already know, is flawed and ambiguous.

If you are sufficiently fluent and know your language well enough UC/R is
there, but this orthography is ambiguous and does little to help learners
with no access to a teacher who can actually pronounce Cornish (or any
teacher at all) to actually speak the language, reading it is a different
matter. In fact it is the perceived inadequacy of UC that lead us to this
schism in the first place.

The practical issues of typing are present because the tool used is not
correct for the job. If your standard en(GB) keyboard map is not suitable
throw it away and replace it with another that IS suitable. If you can't
find one then perhaps we can make one that is suitable and do this for all
platforms, the skills are here to do that.

I do not think that now is the time to vote on this, and I'm not even sure
what we would be voting on. There is also no procedure for voting on issues.

For the record, my aesthetic preference is UCR. My head, however, supports
KS WITH diacritics as the best orthography Cornish has ever had with regard
to learning, reading and promoting good pronunciation. All others fall well
short in each of these regards when taking into consideration the needs of
all learners of revived Cornish.

Regards,
Christian