[Spellyans] Shall we vote on diacritics just now?

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 19:27:54 GMT 2011

On 2011 Whe 1, at 09:11, j.mills at email.com wrote:
> …most people's objections to diacritics seem to me irrational; they merely state that they do not like them, without addressing the linguistic concerns that are entailed.
Rational, irrational: it doesn't matter in the slightest. All that matters is the fact of widespread opposition to mandatory diacritics.

> I suspect that among the Cornish language community as a whole, diacritics are not popular,
I have no doubt your suspicion is quite correct: mandatory diacritics will not be accepted by much of the wider Cornish speaking community. Neither, I think, will they be accepted by the Cornish Language Partership in 2013. Indeed, if KS were to insist of diacritics being mandatory, it would be dismissed out of hand by many, I feel.

>> and that the majority will need to be persuaded if they are to adopt the use of diacritics.
After a prolonged period of discussion on this forum, a significant number of Spellyans members (who have followed and participated in those discussions throughout that time) are UNCONVINCED by the case presented for mandatory diacritics.

Personally, I've followed the linguistic arguments until I'm sick of hearing them. Like many on this list, I just don't accept them.

Given so much oppostiion within Spellyans, Jon, what chance do you think there would be of 'persuading the majority' outside of this forum? None at all.

The wording of the KS submission in 2013 must reflect these views of so many members of Spellyans. To insist that 'diacritics are mandatory' will not succeed. Consider what the Oxford Dictionary (US ed.) says about this word:

mandatory: required by law or rules; compulsory; conveying a command.

Plainly any such laws, rules, compulsions and commands cannot be enforced for diacritics. It would be ludicrous to even attempt to do so, and to proclaim them as such would make KS a laughing stock.

Instead, the wording needs to urge and recommend.

For if KS tries to boss Cornish people about, their response will be unprintable, as will my own!

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem.